Font size Font size smaller Font size normal Font size bigger

How are substance abuse problems treated?

Substance abuse treatment is arranged by wellbeing services counties. The treatment of substance abuse problems usually starts with basic social and health care services. These include reception and emergency services at health care centres, school health care and occupational health care services. 

Below is a brief introduction to the different treatment methods. Additional information on them can be found further on in this information package.

Outpatient treatment

Problems with substance abuse are primarily treated through outpatient treatment. This means that the customer lives in his or her own home and has only occasional treatment visits. At the beginning of the treatment, you will visit a social therapist, nurse or doctor to assess the exact kind of treatment you need. It can be followed by outpatient detoxification, for example. In addition, you can receive individual, family or group therapy, for example. The customer’s housing situation and livelihood are also discussed as part of outpatient care. If outpatient treatment is of no help, you can be admitted to inpatient care.

Inpatient treatment

Institutional inpatient treatment means that you will be living in a treatment facility for some time. Its aim is to get you to discontinue substance abuse and to treat your withdrawal symptoms and the damage caused by substance abuse. Short-term inpatient treatment usually lasts for 1-2 weeks at the most. Detoxification is provided at detoxification clinics.

Long-term inpatient rehabilitation

Sometimes the treatment takes more time, and you will have to live in an institution for longer. Rehabilitation aims to teach you to live without substance abuse and to manage situations that previously involved alcohol or drugs. During inpatient rehabilitation, you will be able to reflect on and arrange your life in a holistic way.

Support services

Various support services will help you after detoxification and rehabilitation. These include supportive housing and day activity centres. Additional information on support services is available from the social services of your wellbeing services county or from your local A-clinic.